Loves books and cats

Best things in life: books, beaches, cats, chocolate, sunsets, sleep

The Snowman -  Don Bartlett, Jo Nesbø This is my first Jo Nesbo novel, and it won’t be my last. I read reviews prior to reading the novel that Nesbo’s books are kind of a cross between Stieg Larsson and Henning Mankell. I’ve read all of the Larsson novels and only two of Mankell’s but I would have to say that Jo Nesbo is just as talented a writer as either of them. Harry Hole is the kind of gritty, hard-nosed yet seriously flawed detective that I enjoy. The investigation of the murders kept me guessing and I certainly did not predict the end long before it came.

The only real quibble I have is that there were too many red-herrings along the way. I hope it is not the usual Harry Hole story line that at least three people are seriously seen to be the murderer before he gets to the real one. I don’t mind the occasional – Yes, this is the murderer… Oh wait, no it can’t be him so we need to keep looking. But not as many as The Snowman has.

I feel that I now need to go back and start with book one so that I can get to know Harry Hole from the beginning. Of course I felt that there were key things about him that I needed to know or at least that I would understand him better if I had read the previous novels. I look forward to getting to know him, and hope that the previous Harry Hole novels are as compelling as this one was.